Monday, May 26, 2008

Friendship in Short Story Form


In the same volume loaned to me with Breakfast at Tiffany's there was a short story -- "A Christmas Memory". If you have ten minutes to spare, follow the link and read it -- it's only a few pages long. I think Norman Mailer or one of those other braggarts of his generation described it as the best short story ever written -- and he may be right. That I wouldn't know. I only know that it gives a more honest and touching rendering of life, God and friendship than I could cobble together in 1,000 pages. Apparently Capote was abandoned as a child and had a rough go of life until he found literary success; but you would never know that from reading this story of a chilly holiday season when he was seven years old. There is no fear or complaining -- only wonder.

No comments: