Sunday, May 25, 2008

Miss Holiday Golightly - Traveling

A friend on mine, on a rather strange whim, recently loaned me her copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's swearing it's her favorite novel of all time and I must reread it (and so I just did). Fair enough top choice -- Capote is a master of the language -- but it's hard for me to imagine where this particular friend -- a suburban mum like myself -- finds much common ground with Holly Golightly. But who can say? Maybe, before she made a life of chasing her progeny around the playground, she shared a flat with a mean-spirited cat and entertained gaggles of wealthy and ratty gentlemen every evening till sun up.

It's possible. You never can tell about someone's past.

It's also possible that she just dreams of being everything that Holly is -- most especially -- unforgettable.

"Anyone who has ever given you confidence -- you owe that person a great debt" -- Holly Golightly, Breakfast at Tiffany's

No comments: